Thursday, December 11, 2008

chocolate boms

I got the directions for these off the bag of Ghirardelli semi sweet chips 60%. They are actually called truffles. This is the same stuff I was making 2 years ago when I was making "Off the Charts Chocolate". I was altering the recipe with other things and other chocolate. This time I just did the exact recipe with out the dust coating and the added Kahlua ( 1 oz). However I made another batch last night and it didn't come out right. I thought I did the right thing but it came out way too buttery or creamy (6 tsb and 1/3 cup) It was so greasy it slid off the spatula. If I added too much, it was only a tiny bit so measure carefully. Maybe the Kahlua did something. I actually think the Kahlua kills the chocolate taste. This morning I added another cup of chips ( for a total of 3 ) and half a bar of Giardelli bakers bar chocolate ( strong stuff!) and that seems to have smoothed it out and flavored it up. so in effect , I cut the c/b content by 1/3. The directions call for adding the melted choc to the hot cream/ butter sauce but I added the c/b to the chocolate. I've done that before and it didn't seem to matter but that might have caused problems.
To make the bom*s. (I know the spelling is wrong but I don't want the fbi coming around to see what kind of bom*s I'm making) I pushed foil into a round bottomed ice cube tray and spooned the liquid choc in, put in the fridge till hard and then finished wrapping. Very time consuming. ( up till 1 am) This time I poured it all out into a glass casserole lined with foil and I'll cut that into squares and I'm going to try the dust this time because they get very soft in the hand quickly and stick to the foil. The dust might help that and also cut somemore of the sweetness. If they are soft enough at room temp , I'll try rolling them into little footballs. I found some fancy cocoa dust by Heresy that is 100% so that should be good. I also want to add some toasted almonds and maybe some raisins. I used to love the old "Chunky" candy bars. But that might have to wait for the next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment