Tuesday, May 19, 2015

#78. Friday painters, Paynes Prairie again



 This is where it began. I actually started painting before there was any light coming into the foreground.  The whole scene was in shadow at 8:30 am. This photo shows some violet/gray in the shadows in the right foreground leading back up under the tree that the camera phone adds. It adds a nice cool complement to the orange of the grass.  If I paint this scene again I will start with this reference photo.

I chose this scene because there was something other than green in it. I have since learned ways to add variety to green by changing color and not value. That will have to wait for the next painting



Looking at the painting after the first session, I see the values of the shadow shapes are not dark enough.  The background and foreground are the same value.  I need to push the distance back more with lighter and cooler tones. Those distance trees should be almost as light as the water.  There are too many small light and dark shapes within each of the value zones making it look choppy and flat


 This is the beginning of the second day on this painting.  It's overcast and no direct sun. But I have already decided what I need to do and in this photo I have started to push the background back by smoothing out the shapes and adding cool colors.

 I adjusted the edges, shapes and values on location and back at the studio.  This is the finished piece  8 x 10 oil on panel "Lake Wauburg"
 Here is it framed in a float frame


No comments:

Post a Comment