Sunday, December 27, 2015

Paint removal


This painting is started out as years of acrylic accumulation on a board I use as an easel.  It is  covered with shelf paper to waterproof it. After I worked on it to make it an a actual
finished painting, I discovered that the acrylic wasn't really sticking to
the shelf paper. So I decided to try and peel the entire thing off the
board and re mount it permanently on a gessoed panel.  First I had to thicken the layer so that I could manipulate it. Idid this by putting on several thick layers of clear heavy gel.  When that was completely dry I used a palette knife to help separate the acrylic from the shelf paper. As you can see
I succeeded in getting it off in one piece.

The top picture is the front view after removal
And below is the back side. It is translucent from the front  The back is actually the paint that was on the board. the white opaque is some of the shelf paper that came up with the acrylic.
If you are viewing this on a phone you probably don't see the video on the right that shows a time laps of the removal process
 here is the link to you tube
 this painting is available on my web site here


1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I can't figure out how to get videos to work in this blog

    ReplyDelete