Friday, March 24, 2017

Hay Bales Plein Air Finished

These hay bales caught my eye because of the way they were lit by the early afternoon sun. I was captivated by the contrast of the orange sorrel grass in the distance against the green of the mid and foreground. It's always fun for me to draw and paint cylinders like these bales or tree trunks, etc. 

Below are the two final paintings along with some of my process. 


The finished 8x10 still on the easel. 


The finished 11x14.



I started by making this location sketch with charcoal and chalk. It's amazing what you can get out of a primitive location sketch. 




Here I have the basic sketch laid in with thinned oils. I got to this point by using the location sketch. I'm working on 2 paintings at once for the first time ever! This is the 8 x 10 version, the other is 11x14. 


Both sizes at the end of the drawing stage. Next comes the block in of color mass. The weather was so cold and windy I couldn't go to the location, so I worked in the studio with as much natural light as I could get. Doors and windows open. It was cold but sunny, just like being outside. 


Back on location to block in both paintings with color and add texture with thicker paint. Since I was doing this for a plein air event it was necessary for me to finish the paintings on location vs in the studio. I needed to have 75% of each painting done on location to qualify as a plein air painting. Unfortunately I didn't escape the wind and cold, but this was my last chance to get this done and in the gallery.




The finished paintings are currently available at the Artisan's Guild Gallery in Downtown Gainesville, FL. They can also be ordered directly from my Etsy site





No comments:

Post a Comment