Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Calling It Done?

It's hard to really tell what I did to these two acrylic paintings from this picture without a good before shot. You can see the whole painting process on this blog here
The painting on the left is  Hunting Island Marsh, I added some green to gray down the orange and I narrowed the taper of the distant banks on both sides and changed the water line on the right bank to make a less sharp edge where the water and mud meet.
  The right one, Fiddler's Ridge Marsh, needed to be lightened.  I also toned some of the violet down and broke up the color a bit and added highlights.  I also broke up the dark trees some and lightened the house.

  just a word about color  This picture viewed on my samsung s5 is just about right compared to viewing it live in the natural  filtered living room light.  so if you have a phone like that you can probably see the actual colors . fro reference, the frame is gold
 as originally painted
 with torn tape
 with painted tape
 After looking at this one for a few hours, I felt there is still something awkward about it and I think it's the way the marsh recedes. I came to the conclusion that the undefined horizon on the left side makes the picture look tilted to the right and makes the distance hard to read  The right side is more distant and that recedes well. I took some tape and painted it and applied it to the horizon line to give it a sharper edge and made it darker to pull it forward a little I us the tape and permanently collage it on to the horizon line, covered it with gloss medium because I didn't want to attempt to paint directly onto the panel and risk screwing it up.  I really like the way the paint came out on the tape and I didn't think I could reproduce it as successfully. Do I the call it mixed media collage?
http://artforpetesake.blogspot.com/2016/10/calling-it-done.html, and I also dropped the bank on the right in the distance to improve the prospective.  I think fixes it. you can see it on my web site here


Fiddler's Ridge Marsh, needed to be lightened.  I so I toned some of the violet down and broke up the color a bit and added highlights.  I also broke up the dark trees some and lightened the house. I made a series of process photos as I did this painting and you can see it here
color: the bottom photo was so dark on the lap top screen I edited it to make it look lighter.   and had to saturate it to get it to look even close to the real colors on my laptop but that took all the green out so I'm putting in 2 pictures taken at the same time   However, on the phone it's over saturated. for reference, the building is white
The top one is darker but closer to the real colors and the bottom one is lighter but too yellow.
you can see the finished painting on my website here
 4/4/17 update  I actually went back in and did more adjustments to the bank on the right in the top painting 


Keep up to date. Sign up for my newsletter http://www.jewelryartstudio.com/studio-1

No comments:

Post a Comment